10 September 2013

Nicaragua Week Two-Three

I could not be any happier putting aside my 'life plan' and fully surrendering my life to His plan.  With saying that, I also came to Nicaragua with my own agenda.  I had plans and ideas on what I wanted to do while in Nicaragua, and funny enough, I once again threw away my plans.

I started to notice that everything I was trying to work on, concerning ministry opportunities, was not exactly coming together.  I noticed doors were not opening, but rather closing quickly.  All of this came about while going door to door one day in my neighborhood.  I noticed a guy behind us just sitting on the side of the road, watching us.  I asked my friend if she knew who he was because he looked as if he knew us.  She told me she had never seen him before, so we kept pressing on.  My friend and I finished the last house on the block and started to walk towards my home.  As we were walking, we were approached by the guy.  He told us that he had heard we were going to be having a Bible Study here for women and that this was a good thing.  Then he looked at us both and said," Francis and Ashlyn, continue to be in God's will in order to do His work."  He then walked away.  Francis and I just sat there for a minute just overwhelmingly confused.  I asked her," Are you sure you didn't go to school with him?  How did he know our names?"  Francis replied," Ash, I promise I have never seen him before."  

The following Monday, there was a complete misunderstanding on where I was suppose to be taken to meet with a Pastor.  I arrived and was clueless as to where I was and who I was about to meet.  Finds out, one of our evangelist didn't understand 'the plan' and took me elsewhere.  I met with the Pastor and told him I was here to live in Nicaragua until December.  He asked me what I wanted to do and what my plans were.  I was about to list out everything I had been thinking about but then I just sat there and replied," You tell me what your needs are and I know the Lord will equip me to help."  He started sharing how he had been praying to the Lord since May that God would send an American to come to his church to help.  I started laughing and told him," Well, I'm as American as it gets!"  That is also around the time I started to think about coming to live in Nicaragua.  The church wants to do evangelism within the community to reach the parents of children that come through the church.  The church is connected with compassion and meets the needs of about 250 children everyday.  The church is in need of workers to go out and evangelize to the parents of the children.  Sign me up!  He also mentioned that he would love to have a women's Bible study because discipleship for the women is lacking.  His last request was to have an english class.  I said, "Pastor, I'd love to do evangelism and the women's Bible Study, but I have never taught english before."  He replied," You speak english right?  We just need to learn the basics and whatever you can teach us, we will be happy."  I am sitting in the chair, thinking to myself," Oh my goodness, here we go Lord!"  

This afternoon was the first time out with members and we were able to lead a precious lady, in her 70's, to the Lord.  I also taught my first english class tonight.  We had twelve students.  Six were connected to the church.  The other six, we have no idea how they found out about the class.  The Lord is moving in many ways.  

Continue to be in prayer please!  I enjoy hearing back from people and every encouraging word that comes my way.

Best compliment I have received since being in Nicaragua...
"You are such a Nicaraguan!"
I'll take it and I think it's great that the people can see I'm becoming them to reach them.


Funny/Random things I am learning:

Time is slow here.  Love it because it is not busy busy like life is in the USA.  Dislike it because I never really know when people are coming over.

In the US, the importance, concerning the roads, is people, motorcycles, vehicles.
In Nicaragua, it is the complete opposite.  If a truck is coming, you better move because they aren't stopping! 

Nicaraguan way of mopping is more logical than American way.  Not talking about our swiffers but the good old fashion way of mopping.  Looking back at the American way, ha it doesn't make any sense!  

Early Mornings- Early Nights

If you mention that you like some type of food/drink, they will serve it to you all the time.  Which by the way, I am not complaining!  This is a good one :)

People greet with a cheek kiss... so don't aim the same direction. lol

It is not strange for girls to hold hands when they are just friends and also for guys.
Still getting use to this one!  




No comments:

Post a Comment