30 August 2013

Nicaragua Week One

I have been living in Nicaragua now for about a week!  Mainly this week I have been getting settled, catching up with friends, and getting prepared for the months to come.  This is my seventh trip to Nicaragua and yet I am continually learning new things about the people, culture, and language!

Here is where I am living:


I am very thankful for all of the letters that I have received!  I also had to bring some pictures for my own sake of family and friends.

This is a typical breakfast, plus some type of fruit.


Thank goodness Nicaragua also believes in coffee!!





Tuesday I went to a village called Christo Rey.  The village was created around a trash mound drop off.  The village finds their food and clothing there in the trash.  This is also how they make their living.  A possible ministry that can be done at the trash mound would be giving out waters and snacks with the mind set of sharing about the Living Water that would never leave them thirsty again. 

This coming week will be the first planned week of ministry.  Here is what my schedule will look like in the following weeks.  This will also help you with a guideline of what ministry you can be praying about for me!



Sunday Morning:      Women's Sunday School in my neighborhood's Baptist Church
Sunday Night:            Teaching Women and Girl's Bible Study at Nazareth Church
Monday:                     Temoa Village in the mountains- They do not have any type of church or 
                                   discipleship.  I will be going there to do door to door, inviting women and girls to 
                                   come to Bible Study. Also, to build relationships with the people there.

Tuesday:                       Rest Day.  Personal Study time for lessons to come.  Language studying. 
                                        Laundry with the women and learning how to cook Nicaraguan food.
Wednesday:                 Bible Study in a girl's home near my house.
Thursday:                     Orphanages.  Feeding them and teaching them Bible Studies and also games.
Friday:                          Complete Rest Day.
Saturday:                      Bible Study in a local arena in Managua.




Funny & Random things I am learning in Nicaragua:

Their biggest meal during the day is lunch.
Rice and Beans has their own food group.  Luckily, I like both so much I don't mind at all having them everyday... sometimes even twice a day!
Anyone from anywhere can drive in Nicaragua, as long as they have a license.  
Nicaragua was where I first learned how to drive stick shift :)
Many of their fruits are not meant for eating but only to make juice.  It's delicious! 
Most Nicaraguans do not like peanut butter and think I am crazy because I do!
I learned the Nicaraguan way of hand washing clothes!




This week I have had a lot of down time as I am getting situated.  I have really been able to dive into God's Word more everyday, which has been refreshing.  I was challenged this week to grow in my prayer life.  Prayer is so important in everyday life but also in ministry.  It is really a time where we can come before God and communicate, not with mere speech, but with our soul and heart.  Prayer gives a whole new depth to our relationship with God.

The harvest is plentiful here in Nicaragua.  I continue to pray for workers and everyday I am brought to someone new who wants to help me.  It has been a true blessing to be here so far in Nicaragua.  I really do feel at home, being here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment